Thursday, August 8, 2013

The Nightmare realm

            My vision is hazy as I run through the dense forest, the moon light casting dark and desolate shadows across my path. The ground seems almost alive, the slight breeze gives the shadows a pulsing motion. Tree branches moan as if warning me to something that only the darkness knows. Leaves tumble across my bare feet on a sudden burst of wind. I stumble over a thick root but am able to regain my balance and continue at a steady pace. Clouds cast darkness across the land and for the briefest of moments, causing a slight dip to the temperature, forcing a chill deep within my bones. Goose bumps run across my skin in an attempt to out run the sudden cold. I grip my arms and vigorously rub them. Being what i am, the change in temperature shouldn't affect me, but here, it does. I feel a strange sensation run down my spine giving off a warning of something watching me. Yellow eyes glow from behind shrubs, leering at me with such intensity it would seem as though they are gazing into my soul.
           The breeze brings with it a mixture of distant howls, hollow moaning and loud buzzing insects. I pass through the tree line and stop before a small hill. I whip my head around looking into the distance for any sign of life. Nothing, just trees and darkness. Fear starts to take hold, the sensation of ice making its way through my lifeless body. Scattered clouds roll in bringing with it loud thunder claps and blue lightning veining across the skies. I try to zero in on where the sound of a body being towed through the dirt is. There, beyond a dense line of trees that i passed through, I see a faint outline of a body being pulled across the forest floor by something unnaturally large. In my peripheral vision I see a tree covered in chains swaying back and forth clanking and rattling. Goose bumps ripple along the top of my skin.
            I look down and notice I'm shirtless and my trousers are littered with tears and shredded at the bottom. Blood and dirt coat them and my bare feet. The ground trembles beneath. I turn to see slabs of stone start to rip and tear there way out of the ground, dislodging roots in there wake, linking to form a stairwell before me. I find myself slowly traversing the quaking stairs. At the top i watch as a small stone church mausoleum grows, dirt tumbling over the edges to the ground below. A rusty, ancient cast iron gate imprisons the church. There are no visible entrances or exits. No doors, no windows, nothing. Only a blood stained offering column sits nearby.
           Freshly dug graves are littered with tumbled and broken tombstones. Written in a child's scribble is the names of those who perished here. The quaking stops when an outer stone wall encompasses the area. My body starts moving on it's own accord to the column which looks pagan in nature. Standing in front of it I raise my hand and let it hover palm up above the blood stained stone. A curved ritual dagger appears in my other hand. I place the blade to my upturned palm and slowly drag it across my pale skin. Blood wells up and slowly makes its way over the edge of my hand. Tear shaped drops start to fall in slow motion. An enormous shape appears behind me casting it's massive inky shadow over me and most of the church yard. A low growl penetrating the stillness around me. My body starts to tremble. Huge arms encase me, forcing most of the my blood to miss the column. The right side of my face is bathed in hot, steamy breath when a deep but dark rumble of laughter follows the growl. I start to kick and thrash......
         I come to after something hard slams into me. When i open my eyes i realize I'm on the floor wrapped in my sheets, blood where my head is. With a grunt I stand up and immediately hear a thump as something in my sheets falls to the floor. Blood is smeared on the sheets as well, and once i take them off i look down. I see my trousers are destroyed and my feet are covered in blood and dirt, and my curved dagger laying next to them, blood coating the blade.
         "..FUCK.....ME!".














No comments:

Post a Comment